Well, I'm a few days late in posting this week...is having a newborn in the house a good enough excuse? Ha! We have had an amazing, and busy week! We welcomed Bryce Matthew to our family!!! Beware of this post...there are MANY pictures! Okay, you've been warned!
Monday morning we woke up early to head to the hospital. We were to report there at 6:30 a.m. It was so strange to get ready and head to the hospital before really being in labor. Always before we just went when I began having contractions. This time, we were being induced, so knew ahead of time. So we got up, took showers, and loaded everything into the van.
 |
| Induction Day! My last belly shot...39 weeks and 2 days...ready to meet baby #3!!! |
As soon as we got to the hospital, they led us to our room (we got the same room as the first two times) and had me change into the lovely hospital gown. Then my awesome nurse, Katie, came in and began getting me all hooked up and ready to go! By 7:00 they had me ready to go and started the petocin (which I despise)! When I went in, I was dilated to a 2 and it looked like we would have a baby fairly quickly. Nurse Katie thought we'd have one by 11:00...we thought noon...but baby had a different idea!
 |
| The beginning of labor! |
This labor went slower than I expected. Actually, this was my longest labor of all 3 of my babies (8 hours and 23 minutes). I wasn't dilating very quickly, so it was a waiting game. By the time I was fully dilated (about 3:50) and ready to push, all of a sudden it didn't seem like it'd been so long! We found out that baby Bryce was "sunny side up," or face up, which is apparently the hardest way to deliver a baby. Dr. Hartung told me that many women end up not being able to deliver their babies in this position and end up having a c-section. She only had to tell me that once...and I was determined to not be another of those women! So about 27 minutes later...Bryce was born!
 |
| He's here!!!! |
 |
| Bryce with my favorite doctor ever, Dr. Hartung |
 |
| Hi buddy! Finally getting to meet the person who'd been kicking me! |
 |
| My amazing doctor and nurse Katie. Love them! |
While we were at the hospital, Matt's mom was home with the boys. School/daycare weren't back in session yet, so they hung out at home all day. Another difference in this pregnancy was that everyone knew we were there...so we received a lot of texts/calls during the day...wondering what was happening. With our other two, we didn't tell anyone we were even in the hospital until a couple of hours before we knew a baby would be born! So the boys had a long day...waiting...wondering...and we couldn't wait to see them and introduce them to their baby brother! When Matt sent a text with Bryce's picture, Mason said "my baby." But when he came to the hospital...it was a little overwhelming for him...he stepped in the room, looked at me sitting in the bed, and went back out crying. I'm not sure if he didn't like seeing me in the bed or what was going on with him for sure.
 |
| Biggest and Big brother coming to meet Bryce! |
 |
| Zane was all smiles and came right up to us! |
 |
| Mason had to have some space and time... |
 |
| Love for Mommy! |
 |
| The boys got Bryce a stuffed lion...all 3 of them have one now! |
 |
| A very proud biggest brother! |
 |
| Grandma Hammer (Baker) |
 |
| Checking Bryce out while he warms up! |
 |
| The boy loves his hands...even in our ultrasound he was trying to get his fist in his mouth!!! |
 |
| Grandma Hammer (Bunch) |
 |
| Bryce's first bath! |
 |
| For the first 2 hours and 20 minutes of Bryce's life, he cried! He was not a happy camper whatsoever! Zane was the first person to get him to go to sleep! It was adorable...he sat there rubbing his chest, shushing him, and singing to him. I asked him if he was going to be in charge of changing poopy diapers and he said, "I think I need to be in charge of putting him to sleep!" |
 |
| Papa Hammer (Bunch) |
 |
| Mason and Bryce (He's warming up)! |
 |
| Precious! Seriously, does he look like a newborn? |
So...day two...a day I won't forget. It was about 7:00 in the morning, I hadn't eaten or showered yet. Matt was still at home. The pediatrician came in after checking Bryce out. He told me that the nurses said Bryce had a rough night. He was very fussy and "inconsolable." So he began to explain to me the things he was checking out on Bryce to rule things out and figure out why he would be so fussy. He checked for broken bones, took blood to check for meningitis or another infection, amongst many other things. I can't imagine what my face showed...but I just shook my head and said "ok" becuase all I wanted to do was cry! I was so completely scared! The last thing he told me was that "you need to prepare yourself because you may just have a fussy baby. You may have to hold him as much as you can and then put him down and walk away." I was nervous/scared/worried/you name it! I hadn't had a fussy baby before...and I have two active boys at home...how was I going to handle an "incolsolable" baby? So I called Matt to come as soon as he could...ate my breakfast slowly...took a nice, long, hot shower...and prayed! I just wanted my baby to be happy and healthy! To my shock and surprise, day two went VERY well and Bryce was consolable...he slept, ate, and pooped like I anticipated he would and we had a great day!
 |
| Sweet, sweet baby! |
 |
| Meeting the rest of his grandparents! Old Grandma (Baker), Grandma Beggs, Old Papa (Baker), Grandma and Papa Farmer (Baker) |
 |
| Great Grandma Beggs |
 |
| Great Papa and Grandma Baker (Old Papa/Grandma) |
 |
| Papa Farmer (Baker) |
 |
| The boys showing the great grandparents their Kindle Fires...they were impressed with the boys' abilities to navigate them! |
 |
| The Baker Bunch |
 |
| Daddy snuggling with Bryce |
My nurse on night two was a parent from my school! That was a little weird, but worked out just fine! That day I ended up having company from 3:00-9:00, so I was TIRED! I slept very well that night. When the nurse came in to give me meds at 3:00 in the moring, I asked her how Bryce was doing, and she told me he was a little fussier than he had been during the day, but was consolable. We had noticed that he was tongue-tied right after he was born, and the first day he was having trouble eating much, but day 2 he figured it out, so I think he was feeling much better with a full tummy! I felt a little better hearing someone say that he was doing better! And thank heavens for my day 2 nurse...who kept telling me she didn't think anything was wrong with him...that he was just sore and tired from labor (remember...he came out the hardest way)...and hungry!
Day 3...Wednesday...going home day. This is the day Bryce got his circumcision (they waited a day longer than normal...remember he was incolsolable...so they didn't want to add any more stress to him the day before...). This happened first thing in the morning, so we hung around just to be sure he was okay. The photo lady came and took Bryce's pictures. He was asleep the whole time so at least he cooperated! The next few pictures are the ones she took. They're your typical newborn pictures, but I think they turned out really cute!!! We had a hard time keeping his hands away from his face...those hands in those positions just look awkward!
We really kind of just hung out at the hospital...waiting...napping...waiting...for them to tell us we could leave. Apparently the nurse was waiting for us to say we were ready...so after lunch we headed home!
 |
| Bryce in my big hospital bed...he slept there for a couple of hours! |
 |
| Daddy's already got him posing with a cell phone! |
 |
| Ready to head home! |
 |
| Getting buckled in! |
 |
| He looks so small in there! |
I couldn't believe how nice the weather was! It was refreshing to get outside in the fresh air! By the time we left, it was almost time to get the older boys, so we just went ahead and got them. Grandma got Mason and we went to get Zane. He was shocked that we came with Bryce to get him and he was so excited. He kept saying "Bryce, your big brother is here!" Then he sang, "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You made me happy when you were born!" I about cried! What a sweet big brother! He really is so proud!
After hearing our baby was "fussy" and "incolsolable" at night, I was super nervous about our first night...without a nursery to take him to...at home! I felt comforted knowing I had 2 other adults in the house...but still felt uncertain about how our night was going to play out. We fed, swaddled, and put Bryce down that night. He is currently sleeping in the cradle that my dad made for me when I was born!
 |
| Bryce's first night at home! |
I'm happy to report that he was up about every couple of hours or so. He ate and then went right back to sleep! Exactly what I expected from him! What a relief!
 |
| Mason helping Daddy feed Bryce...he just needed to warm up in his own time and without a crowd! Now he's all over Bryce, telling him how cute he is and how much he loves him! |
 |
| Smiling...already? This was our first full day at home. Grandma was holding Bryce and trying to get him to wake up to finish his bottle. She would say "Hey, you" and he would smile! It was super cute and no matter what anyone tells me...he was doing it intentionally! |
And let me just mention how lucky we are to have Matt's mom!!! She came down Sunday night to stay with the boys and stayed with us until Saturday afternoon! Her help, support, and presence was amazing! She took the boys to school/daycare, picked them up, came to the hospital, took care of the boys, cooked and cleaned for us, went with me to the doctor, and got up in the middle of the night to help out! Whatever we needed, she was there! It was so nice to be able to say "I'm tired and need a nap" and know that she was there to tend to Bryce's needs. I always know all I have to do is ask and she will help in any way she can. Keeta - I can never thank you enough for all you have done for us. You are the best!
 |
| A dimple! So cute! |
Okay...so we noticed pretty early (like right away) that Bryce was tongue-tied. This is because we have had another tongue-tied baby...Mason. Apparently the pediatrician's office doesn't handle this, so we were set up with an appointment at an ent's office on Thursday. We knew we just wanted this taken care of as soon as we could to avoid future problems with eating and/or speech. So Grandma and I headed to the ent office for this quick procedure. I couldn't look, but Bryce didn't seem bothered by them cutting him...just bothered that the doctor had his hands in his mouth! It was very quick and we were in and out before we knew it! Whew!
 |
| What a brave little patient! |
We are having such fun getting to know Bryce! He is a GOOD baby! He eats, he sleeps, he poops! He is very consolable and we really enjoy cuddling him! I'm trying to enjoy this time with him...they grow so quickly and this is one of my favorite times! I'm happy to report that he is doing amazing at night! From the 2nd night home and on, he has only woken up one time in the middle of the night! So much for an inconsolable baby! We are slowly learning what our new "normal" looks like. I know it's not the same as it will be when I go back to work, but we're learning how to parent three little boys! We are humbled by the number of people who have offered us help, meals, and have called or sent messages to check on us. Thank you, thank you, to everyone, for everything! There is no way we could do this all on our own and we appreciate everything more than we can even tell you! We are so blessed!!!
Zane-isms
- "I'm good with him!" (After putting Bryce to sleep for the 2nd time)
- "He likes me!" (Again referring to Bryce)
- "Bryce, your big brother is here!"
Mason's Marvels
The last time we were in Iowa on the farm, Mason went to the bathroom outside. While going, he looked at Papa and said, "Oh, I made a river!"
One night Mason came into our room to use the restroom. He came out and said, "Mom, I need new pants. My pants are wet." I asked him why his pants were wet and he said, "Uh, from my weiner..." (Add in sarcasm because it also sounded like he wanted to say "duh mom...")
Something wasn't going his way one day, so Mason said "Oh gracious Jesus. Jesus loves me!" He's also been singing "Jesus Loves Me." He does listen in Sunday School!!!
During Christmas, we were discussing what Christmas was about and I said it wasn't just about presents. Then I asked them what it was about and he said, "Jesus!"
The morning after Bryce came home, Grandma was taking Mason to Jo's house. On the way there they passed the hospital and Mason told Grandma "Mom isn't there anymore." Grandma asked Mason if he was glad that our baby was home and he said, "Yeah. How long do we get to keep him?" Too cute!
2 comments:
Congratulations! Bryce is SO cute!!!! Glad he is a good baby so far!
such a fun blog - we've been wondering how the baker household has been doing with 3 sweet boys! thanks for the update!!! i think the eyes-open photo looks just like mason!
my matthew is pretty impressed that bryce has his name...
blessings momma - so glad you have the extra help, to get your bearings... 3 is a whole different world than 2.
good night sunny-side-up boy!
Post a Comment