Sunday, June 22, 2008

Baseball Game and Swimming Lessons

This week we decided to head to a T-Bones baseball game (a local minor league team). We have always heard how kid-friendly the games are, so we thought we'd try it out. We had a lot of fun there! Zane wasn't real happy at first, all he wanted was cotton candy! As soon as we got some for him, he was fine. We probably all enjoyed the entertainment between innings (and the food of course) more than the game itself! Towards the end of the game we took Zane over to the playground and he had a blast! I'm glad we didn't show him that area any earlier or we would have had to stay there the whole night!


We also began swim lessons this week! This is the first year Zane was able to take them, the youngest age is 3. His class is called "Aqua Tots" and is for kids age 3-5, so it's a little bit of a range in age. I took him on Monday and it was NOT very pleasant. He seemed excited to be going, ran all the way to the pool, but when I tried to leave him with the teachers, he started crying, reaching, and calling for me. Talk about breaking your mama's heart! The teachers tried and tried to get him to stay, but after about 5 minutes, he ran out to me. I couldn't get him to go back, so we just sat and watched. I was so disappointed...I figured he'd love it!

Tuesday we went again. All day Monday Matt and I talked about it and tried to get Zane excited about going back. He didn't ever act scared or like he didn't want to go...so we thought maybe it'd be okay. Again on Tuesday, as soon as we got there, he began clinging to me and not wanting to go with his class. There was a different teacher that day and she got him to stay a little bit longer...but he was fighting her. So finally she brought him back to me and asked him if he would come back tomorrow and stay/play with her for 5 minutes. He agreed and we left early.

Wednesday it was like a complete 180! We got there and Zane told me "5 minutes." I said "yep, just 5 minutes, then you can sit with me." We go inside and took him towards his teachers, and he began to cling to me a little...but I handed him to his teacher and he sat on her lap...yea! He didn't cry, fight them, or try to come to me. Instead, he followed all of the directions and stayed not 5 minutes, but the whole 30 minutes! I was so proud I almost cried! He was laughing, giggling, and turning around waving to me saying "hi mom!" Afterwards, he came up to me for a huge hug, told me "fun, mom," and then asked if he could have "gum now?" We did bribe him a little bit with that...but I thought he deserved it after the turn-around day!

Ever since Wednesday he has been excited to go and has stayed the whole time. We continue with lessons this week and they will be over on Thursday. Here are a few pictures and videos of him at swimming lessons.

The sun is in my eyes!
Hi mom!
They play "monkeys jumping on the bed"

I must say he impressed me with his creativity...they play "Simon Says" and tell the kids to put certain parts of their body in the water. Zane was doing it...and then she said "Simon says get your forehead wet." He reached into the water, got his hand wet, then put it on his forehead! Then he looked up and said "Zane did it!" He did that again with his ears! I wouldn't have ever thought of that!





This week Brent was in town for work, so we got to see him a couple of nights. He also rode back to Iowa with us on Friday. Saturday was a beautiful day. My brother and his girlfriend were in town and wanted to go to the races, so I rode with them. We got there, got our food, sat down, ate some, and then they cancelled the races! There was a storm moving in and it wasn't long before it began pouring and hailing...we got a little wet! We have only had 3 races so far and it's been every other weekend, what a strange year!

This morning we woke up early and headed back to KC. Matt's parents and Brent came down also. We took the boat to Smithville and spent the afternoon on the lake. It was a beautiful day for boating! It was hot, sunny, and the water was nice and calm (not like the last time when Nemo bit the propeller)! We really had a great time and enjoyed the time together. Zane was very good and especially enjoyed going to the beach!

Summer is already going fast! We are just trying to have as much fun as we can and enjoy each moment! We're also trying to get as much done, ready, and prepared for "Bobby" now while we have the time!

Have a great week and check in on us soon!

No comments: