Sunday, August 17, 2008

Preschool...A Success!

What a week! We had a lot of change happen in our family this week...all good, but crazy and busy just the same! First of all, since Zane has been 2 weeks old, we have taken a picture of him by Big Bird to how how much he has grown. I am attaching the first picture I took at 2 weeks old and the one I took this week at 3 years old. Has he grown and changed or what???


I have been in school all week...Monday and Tuesday were work days. Tuesday evening was our "Back to School Night," where the kids come to school, find out who their teacher is, and bring their school supplies. It always seems like such a whirlwind and is over before I know it! Then Wednesday was my first day of school. I have 21 little ones this year, which seems like a lot of 5 year old bodies! So far they really seem like a neat group of kiddos and I have awesome parent support! I have 2 siblings, so that is nice to already know the families. I definitely noticed how completely exhausted and tired I was this year...wonder why???

Thursday was a BIG day at the Baker house! It was Zane's first day of preschool!! He woke up on his own at 6:30 and was in our bedroom when I got out of the shower. I was surprised! We have been making a pretty big deal of preschool and telling him how much fun it is going to be, so he seemed pretty excited that morning. We were cheering, clapping, and talking about it all morning. I set out the "special plate" for him to eat his breakfast on and Matt made Zane his favorite...pancakes! I was bothered by the fact that he was not interested in eating that morning. I didn't want to send him to his first day of school with an empty tummy! But, I loaded him with milk and felt a little better.

We took the obligatory first day photos of Zane before leaving home. He just looks so grown up! He was very proud of his backpack...Lightning McQueen! Here are his first day photos:


Matt and I both took him the first day (I told Matt I'd need the support)! We got there around 7:30 and the classroom was empty but they were on their way from the early room. We walked back down the hall, unsure if we should go in the room without the teachers there, and Zane suddenly started crying and saying "Go Zane's house..." THAT was not helping his already emotional mommy! Matt got him settled down a little bit, so we headed back to the classroom. Here is a picture of Zane and Matt outside of his new classroom door (by the way, this is a BRAND NEW school...something I've never even gotten to experience!):

Once in the classroom, Zane first noticed a fishtank, so he was excited about that. We found his coathook and he hung his backpack up right away. The teacher asked if he had been to school before because he acted like a pro! I was talking to the teacher a little bit and Matt was showing Zane some of the toys he could play with. While I was chatting, Matt told Zane to be good, listen to his teachers, and have a good day. His response was "Okay. Bye Dad!" I went over to the two of them and Zane was happily playing with a puzzle. Matt said that we should go, so I kissed him on the head, told him to have a good day, and we walked out (me bawling...). He just kept right on playing so that did make it easier.

I was a complete mess when leaving...it just didn't seem like my baby should be starting school already! I know have a newfound understanding and respect for the parents who entrust their children to me, a complete stranger, every year. I now know EXACTLY how that feels!

I was so excited to pick Zane up at the end of the day and couldn't wait to hear what he had to say about everything! When I got there, I signed him out and then went up to him where he was playing with some trains. I said "Hey." He looked up at me, then continued to play. That was a good sign to me that he had a great day! He said "Bye teachers! Zane come back Tuesday!" We got his backpack, papers, and headed down the hallway, talking about his new school. His comments were, "Zane had fun. My preschool fun. Zane good boy." It was so fun to listen to him talk about his first day! For lunch he said he had "salad" (coleslaw) and that he likes salad. He also talked about it raining, so I don't think they went outside for recess.

To celebrate a great first day, we took Zane to Chuck E Cheese for supper. We all loved it!!

This is one of the prizes Zane picked out. Lately he's been into moustaches since his Papa Farmer has one. He calls them a "musbash."

We ended up staying home this weekend. There's been a lot of claiming of motors going on at the races, so Chris decided to take a night off and stay at the State Fair for a concert. I was so excited to have a weekend at home...so much needed done! We now have a clean house and groceries in our refrigerator! Last night we had Madelyn over for a little while and she went out to supper with us. Here is Zane playing a game on Matt's phone and Madelyn watching him.


This will be my first full week with kids...we'll see how it goes! Hopefully they won't have forgotten everything over the weekend...it may be like starting over! I'm really excited to take Zane to preschool this week and see what else he has to say. Now that the first day is over, I think I'll be okay!

Take care and thanks for checking in on us!!

No comments: